Stainless steels are corrosion resistant metals, which are protected by the formation of a self repairing oxide film. This film is an amazing phenomenon mainly due because it protects the inside layer of the pipe from corrosion by presenting a barrier between the fluid running through the piping, and the metal itself. Along with this, stainless steel has plenty of other advantages in the piping market.
- Stainless Steel has a generally low corrosion rate in water, and no corrosion allowance is required.
- High flow rates in excess of 40 meters a second pose no risk to the pipe.
- Corrosion resistance in conjunction with the high strength stainless steel offers allows room for reduction in section diameter, wall thickness and weight, making it quick and easy to install.
- Stainless Steel is ductile, allowing it to be easy to be bent and cut with the right tools.
- Stainless steel pressfittings in particular are easy to use for joints, and ideal for installation in areas with limited space and access or where the use of heat would be a problem.
- Stainless Steel can be used in all types of water, falls within the limits set up for piping to come in contact with drinking water in public supply.
- High resistance to the full range of potable waters (including various chloride levels).
- Installation is clean and if properly carried out, does not contaminate the system and reduces flushing times.
- No heat is required to form a joint or a groove, reducing fire hazards. Therefore hot work permits are not required.
- Stainless steel is fully recyclable.
- Stainless steel has a 50 year gain over competing materials in lifespan.
- Stainless steel requires no additional coating.
- Post-installation maintenance is minimal, reducing system downtime.
- Although cost for SS piping may be higher than other materials, the economic benefits of using stainless steel increase over time.
- At the end of its useful life, stainless steel is fully recyclable and retains a higher residual scrap value than ordinary steel.
On top of all of these benefits stainless steel gives you, it is also very aesthetic in blending in well with modern architecture, and most often they do not require painting and can be left to be visible. Here at Bryan Hose we sell all sorts of grades of stainless steel, and are the local experts on the subject. We can give you plentiful advice on projects and materials that you may be seeking. So go ahead and contact us at the button below if you have any questions, your project is only one pipe away.